What you’ll need
What you'll need:
- 1, 15 oz. can of crushed tomatoes
- 1 can of tomato paste
- 3 carrots
- 1 shallot
- 3 garlic cloves
- 1 cup French (brown) lentils
- 1 tablespoon of Coco Mediterranean Spice Blend
What you probably already have:
- Olive Oil
- 1 Pot
- Coat the bottom of a pot with olive oil, about 1 tbsp., and heat on medium/high heat.
- Thinly dice shallots and garlic.
- Once oil is hot, add shallots and garlic. Sautee for about 3 minutes, be sure to keep a close eye on it, as it can burn quickly.
- Dice carrots and add them to the pot.
- Add spice blend, half the can of tomato paste, and salt and pepper to taste. Sautee for about 5 minutes, or until carrots are slightly tender.
- Rinse lentils and add to the pot.
- Add crushed tomatoes, and 3 cans of water (simply refill the can that the tomatoes came from!)
- Cover and boil on a medium flame for about 30-35 minutes, or until the lentils and vegetables are tender. For a thicker soup, uncover and let boil for another 10 minutes to reduce.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste.
Add dried rosemary and some red pepper flakes for a nice kick!